Saturday, March 19, 2011

I get that a lot

The other day at work this cute little boy came through my line with his parents and the following conversation took place…

-Cute little boy while holding up a short grocery list “Can you read this?”

-Me “Yes I can, it says bread, eggs, cereal, and bananas. Am I right?”

-Cute little boy “Yeah”

Short pause….

-Cute little boy while looking at me quizzically “Are you in first grade?”

Now, people often think I’m younger than I am. It’s not uncommon to see surprise on stranger’s faces when they discover that not only am I no longer in high school, but I am in fact a college graduate who is married and has a small child. I have, however, never had my age so grossly underestimated as that day by that little boy. Of course I’m not really being serious. I obviously don’t look like I’m in first grade(right?) you see, after his question I learned that he is in Kindergarten and was simply impressed with my ability to read, and therefore assumed the one thing his little mind could fathom, that I must be in first grade. Let’s be honest, it was adorable.

So, hopefully, next time someone asks what High School I go to I’ll simply be able to smile and remember that at least they don’t think I’m a first grader. Thanks for the laugh little boy.

2 comments: